Behaviors over Bandaids
Here’s a crazy idea…
What if we all stopped looking for the hacks, magic pills, and silver bullets to answer our health woes and started examining the behaviors that caused us problems in the first place?
Drop the Vitamin D supplements and go for a walk in the sunshine.
Put down the anti-inflammatories and the foam roller and move smarter in the gym.
Skip the greens powder drink and eat your veggies.
If you focus on behaviors over bandaids you will thrive, in and out of the gym.
The problem is that behaviors aren’t sexy, they can’t be packaged and sold, and truth be told, they take time to implement consistently.
But through experience working with thousands of clients around the world, we know that changing behaviors is the only way to make a real and lasting impact.
It’s altering your daily practices and making them a part of who you are that will give you the power over your own health, rather than relying on pills, powders, 30-day challenges, restrictive diets, and fitness gimmicks.
Examine your behaviors in four areas: Balance, Energy, Rhythm, and Purpose.
Balance: There are 24 hours in a day, apply work and rest appropriately.
- Are you balancing 60% stress and 40% rest throughout your week?
- Do you include relaxing activities such as meditating, walking, sleeping, yoga, podcasting, gentle movement, chilling out with loved ones, reading, or whatever makes you calm and happy?
Energy: Sleep with the moon, rise with the sun. You can’t cheat biology!
- Do you go to sleep and get up at the same time every day?
- Do you get 7+ hours of uninterrupted sleep?
- Do you avoid blue light before bed?
- Do you watch the sun rise and set?
Rhythm: Water, movement, and proper digestion are essential daily routines.
- Do you drink at least ½ your bodyweight in oz water daily?
- Do you move your body in some way every day?
- Do you sit down to eat your meals in a calm environment and chew thoroughly?
- Do you eat foods that are easy for you to digest and bring you great mental acuity?
Purpose: You will one day die, get over it and get living!
- Do you understand what you want to get out of your health and fitness that goes beyond the gym?
If you aren’t honoring these Basic Lifestyle Guidelines you will have to bandaid your health with expensive and unsustainable supplements and biohacks. They might work in the short-term, but do you really want to be relying on fixes rather than addressing the root of your problems?
Changing behaviors won’t happen overnight. Just like fitness gains take time, so does working on your hydration, food hygiene, sleep schedule, daily step count, and sun exposure. That’s where OPEX Gyms come in.
Our coaches don’t just craft fitness programs. They also consult with their clients every month on lifestyle behaviors. And they’ll never sell you an expensive CBD ointment that you don’t need!