The Goal Setting Roadmap
Goal setting is an incredibly important part of the OPEX coach-client relationship because it holds both parties accountable to the training program.
Having goals helps create direction for you, the client, to train towards, and your coach to program to progress you towards.
In OPEX Gyms, we use a roadmap approach to help you set goals that are attainable, realistic, and inspiring.
There are 4 steps to goal setting:
- The Start: as it sounds, your starting point, which is defined by your initial assessment of body composition, movement quality, and work capacity.
- The Resources: the resources you need to meet your goal, such as time, equipment, finances, and support.
- The Recipe: the nutrition, training, and lifestyle prescriptions your coach will design
- The End: a clearly defined end goal.
Now, typically the process begins with the End, reverse engineered back to the Start. There are specific questions that you and your coach will need to answer at each stop along the way.
The goal-setting roadmap process is best illustrated through an example.
The End: Lose 20lbs
- What will be different about being 20lbs lighter?
- How will it feel to be 20lbs lighter?
- Why is the goal of 20lbs important? (Discussed in consultation)
- Current weight and body composition? (Measured by OPEX Body screen, the InBody)
- Are there 20lbs to lose in the first place?
- Any movement restrictions or injuries? (Assessed with OPEX Move screen)
- Current aerobic capacity? (Measured by the OPEX Work screen, the 10 Minute AirBike test)
- What is the client's schedule like and what is the time commitment?
- How much will it cost (healthy food, gym membership)?
- Access to equipment and transportation?
- Support from friends and family?
- How quickly can the weight be lost?
- Is there also muscle to be gained?
- What kind and amount of training?
- What nutrition and lifestyle plan is needed to support training?
Answering these questions helps both you and your client come up with an actionable plan to achieve the end goal and understand exactly what needs to be done to make the goal a reality!
Do you have a specific goal in mind? Sit down and write out your Start, Resources, Recipe, and End.
Having trouble filling in the blanks? Find an OPEX Gym near you and schedule an initial consult to start the goal-setting process with a coach.